What Is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave treatment involves the application of short, frequent, and high intensity bursts of mechanical energy (in the form of a shockwave) into soft-tissue that is injured, scarred, or contains adhesions, is painful, or inflamed. This energy shock is not electrical, but rather a rapid high frequency vibration in the form of a Radial Pressure Wave (RPW). When appropriately applied, shockwave can increase local blood flow, improve healing response, break apart scar tissue and adhesions, reduce muscle spasm, and directly decrease pain. Most patients tolerate the treatments well, and report only mild discomfort.
how does it work?
Shockwave therapy involves a variation of acoustic waves targeted at the given pain point or injury site to promote accelerated tissue repair and cell growth, pain relief and mobility restoration. The acoustic waves are created by pressurized air and comprised of random peaks and pressure. This energy is released at the end of the applicator and in to the tissue where scar tissue is broken down and blood flow to the area is increased.
Resulting Effects Of Acoustic Waves
- New Blood Vessel Formation – Creation of micro-ruptures in tendon and bone
- Reversal of Chronic Inflammation – Increase in mast cells
- Stimulation of Collagen Production – Acceleration of procollagen Synthesis
- Break up of Calcified Fibroblasts
- Dispersion of Pain Mediator – Neurotransmitter substance P is interrupted
- Release of Trigger Points – Unblocking of calcium pump promoting healthy metabolic process in microfilaments.
Does It Really Work?
There has been a lot of work done to show the effectiveness of Shockwave Therapy with patient satisfaction reaching 90% in various trials. Studies have shown the reduction and elimination of chronic pain, increase in range of motion and accelerated healing for a wide range of conditions.
We have many patients with a wide range of conditions who have seen the benefits of Shockwave Therapy, see what they have to say in our reviews and testimonials!
Which Conditions Are Best To Treat With Shockwave?
Shockwave Therapy has shown to be effective in tissue repair, pain relief, improvement in motor functionality and range of motion. Here are some conditions where these improvements have been shown:
- Reversal of Chronic Inflammation
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Chronic Tendinopathy
- Patellar Tendonitis (Jumper’s Knee)
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
- Calcific Tendonitis
- Hip Pain
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Heel spurs/Heel pain
- Myofascial Trigger Points in muscle
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome (IT Band Syndrome)
- Tennis Elbow and Golfer’s Elbow
feel free to call or email one of our therapists at the clinic to see if shock waves are right for you.